Wednesday, May 11, 2016

2nd grade: Shelf Creature Pals

Second grade created these super cool shelf buddies using the skills they have learned in previous years of art; pinch-pot were taught in kindergarten and clay-attachment skills were coached in first grade. These little creatures are one of my favorite clay projects. They turned out super cute and have so much personality!

The base of our form is an up-side down pinch-pot that we stuffed with a bit of newspaper to give it support as we worked. Once our attachments were finished, we removed the newspaper and I punched holes at the base using a straw. Once the clay was fired, we used a pipe-cleaner to sew through our holes to become our legs or arms.

Beads add a little more style to the design but are totally optional. (Very few of my kids said no to beads.)

We finished up our sculptures with acrylic paint, being careful not to get too much on our beads.

The kids have been bugging me every week to take them home, but they look so nice in our display case. They are just so worried that they will never get them back, but I made sure to promise them that I would not keep them forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment